Most homeowners think of their roof as strong and durable, their protection from the elements and other dangers. And while a properly installed roof is just that, it can also be vulnerable to issues that can damage it if not adequately planned for. Here are six roof problems that a wise homeowner needs to be aware of.
- Improperly Installed or Broken Roof Flashing Flashing is thin pieces of metal or plastic installed under the shingles and at the joints and is meant to waterproof your roof. However, if these are not installed correctly or are broken, you may have problems with your roof leaking. If caught early, flashing is easy to replace, however if left untreated the water can cause major damage to your home.
- Algae Due to Poor Quality Shingles If you notice black streaks on your roof, chances are you have roof algae, which grows in damp and shady areas. Poor quality shingles are more susceptible to algae so make sure you get high quality ones with Scotchgard Protector like Roof Advance uses.
- Poorly Installed or Maintained Gutters Cleaning the gutters is no one’s favorite chore, but it is essential to keep your roof in good shape. Gutters divert water off the roof, but if they are improperly installed or there are leaves in the gutters, rain and snow can be blocked off, and be left sitting on your roof causing problems.
- Wind and Hail While your roof protects you from storms, you also need to take care of your roof before and after a storm. Strong wind can lift shingles which will allow rain to seep underneath them, and hail can damage the protective coating on the roof leaving them vulnerable to more wear and tear.
- Trees Another problem with storms is that the high winds can often break tree limbs and branches which can damage your roof if they fall on it. It is wise to trim any trees near your home so this doesn’t happen.
- Ice and SnowIn the winter ice and snow can be another big problem for your roof. If ice forms at the edge of your roof it can trap the snow there. As the temperature fluctuates the ice and snow can melt and refreeze lifting the shingles and causing leaks.
Preventing these issues is the key, but even the most prepared homeowner can’t plan for everything which is why Roof Advance offers quick and free no obligation estimates. Give us a call for any of your roofing needs.